Re: [GENERAL] To Postgres Devs : Wouldn't changing the select limit

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [GENERAL] To Postgres Devs : Wouldn't changing the select limit
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> (switched thread to hackers)
>
> > ... If the 'tip' is localized to a few lines, usually in
> > gram.y, I don't see a reason not to help people find the right answer.
> > It helps them and reduces redundant bug repots.  I can't imagine a
> > reason not to do it unless it starts to make our code more complex.
>
> I'm with Peter on this one. I'd like to *not* clutter up the code and
> error reporting with hints and suggestions which may or may not be to
> the point.
>
> We *should* have docs which list error messages and possible solutions,
> and throwing that info into code is a poor second choice imho.

Is it really clutter to add a clause and elog().  I am not advocating
adding stuff like crazy, but when we see people having the same problem,
it seems worth adding it.  Our docs are pretty big and most people who
have this type of problem are not going to know where to look in the
docs.  If the elog pointed them to the proper section in the docs, that
would be even better, but then again, you are doing the elog at that
point.

What do others think?  It would be good to have a specific example to
discuss.

Pennsylvania19026