Re: Glitch in handling of postmaster -o options

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Glitch in handling of postmaster -o options
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> > Would someone give me a status on this?
>
> I don't think we need any code changes.  If we decide to deprecate -o
> (or anything else), it's just a documentation change.  So we can argue
> about it during beta ...
>
> >> If we notify of the impending deprecation now, to actually occur in 7.3,
> >> would we be best intoducing alternative option names somewhere in the
> >> 7.2 beta cycle so people writing scripts for 7.2 can use the new names
> >> and know their scripts will work into the future?
>
> The alternative option names already exist, in the form of GUC
> variables.  For example, "--sort-mem=NNN" could replace -S NNN.

I don't think we can remove -o behavior during beta because it will
affect people using -S in startup scripts.  I just wanted to know if I
should record this on the TODO list.  Added to TODO:
* Remove behavior of postmaster -o after making  postmaster/postgres flags unique

Pennsylvania19026