Re: Cannot rename init file

От Jason Tishler
Тема Re: Cannot rename init file
Дата
Список pgsql-cygwin
Russell,

On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 10:05:52AM -0600, Russell Black wrote:
> From: "Jason Tishler" <jason@tishler.net>
> > BTW, are your running vacuumdb under cron or just at the command line?
>
> I'm running vacuumdb from cron every morning at 3 AM.

Please see if you can reproduce the problem from the command line.  I
have seen some "issues" with cron that I trying to track down myself.
Since cron is switching user context via NT's security APIs maybe it is
cause you some permission problems.

> How often should I run vacuumdb?  What exactly does it do?

Sorry, I'm not qualified to answer the above.  To be honest, I'm not very
experienced with PostgreSQL.  I just submitted some patches to get 7.0.2
to build under the Cygwin Net Release and the rest is history...  :,)

> In the above link, Tom Lane said
> "The first backend to fire up after a vacuum will try to rebuild
> pg_internal.init, and then move it into place."
> Perhaps I should restart my jboss server every time I run vacuumdb, so the
> files will be released.

The above sounds like a reasonable workaround -- stop jboss right before
the nightly vacuumdb.  But, it would be much better to understand why
the rename is failing before resorting to workarounds.  If this is truly
a problem in Cygwin, then we should try to get it fixed.  Since I can no
longer reproduce the problem, I cannot attempt to debug it.

Thanks,
Jason