Re: unicode in 7.1

От Marko Kreen
Тема Re: unicode in 7.1
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 05:21:22AM -0700, Culley Harrelson wrote:
> What would be the proper encoding?  Essentially anything goes with the data
> in this database-- I had language aid material that could potentially be
> for any language you can type.

UNICODE?

> I don't think java is the issue-- from pgsql in the shell you get a
> question mark ? for your most basic accented character.

The issue is neither PostgreSQL nor JDBC driver.  The issue is
that db encoding does not match data.  If you see '?' psql
then seems like the data was converted on insert to SQL_ASCII...

psql does no do any charset conversions (yet?), JDBC does.
If data is in psql OK but in JDBC wrong then you are lucky and
data is still healthy.

You should dump your database and create db with correct
encoding and reload data.

Use \l in psql to see you db-s and encodings.

--
marko