Re: Dollar in identifiers

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: Dollar in identifiers
Дата
Re: Dollar in identifiers  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Re: Dollar in identifiers  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >     I'm  not sure if it's according to or violating the standard.
> >     But most other databases allow a '$' inside  of  identifiers.
> >     Well,  most  of  them recommend not to use it, but hey guy's,
> >     what's a recommendation for a programmer?
> >
> >     In order to lower porting issues, I think it'd be nice to add
> >     that  to  PostgreSQL  as  well.  It's  two more characters in
> >     scan.l and doesn't break the regression test.
> >
> >     Objections?
>
> Yes.  We would move from standard C identifiers to $ identifiers.  We
> have had zero requests for this so I see no need to add it.
   Standard  C?  I  was  talking  about  *allowing*  the  dollar   character in table-, column-, function-names!
   And not all requests show up directly on  the  mailing  lists   any  more.   We'll  see  those  (compatibility)
requesesfrom   Toronto as well pretty soon I guess.

   The  thing  is  that  the  dollar  isn't  mentioned  in   the   definition  of  the  <SQL terminal character>
(chapter5.1 of   SQL3) at all. But all DB vendors seem to treat it at least as   <SQL language identifier part>.

   Could  you  live  with it when we don't allow a name to start   with a dollar, but allow the dollar inside or at the
end  of   the name?

Jan