Re: Question about todo item

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: Question about todo item
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> > Implementation is left as an exercise for the reader ;-).
> >
> > Offhand this seems like it would be doable for a column-value that
> > was actually moved out-of-line by TOAST, since the open_toast_object
> > function could see and return the TOAST pointer, and then the read/
> > write operations just hack on rows in pg_largeobject.  The hard part
> > is how to provide equivalent functionality (transparent to the client
> > of course) when the particular value you select has *not* been moved
> > out-of-line.  Ideas anyone?
>
>     TOAST  values aren't stored in pg_largeobject. And how do you
>     seek to a position in a compressed and then sliced object? We
>     need  a  way  to  force the object over a streaming interface
>     into uncompressed toast slices first. Let me think  about  it
>     for two days, Okay?
>
>     The  interface  lacks  imho a mode (r/w/rw/a) argument. Other
>     than that I'd like this part.
   The  idea of making BLOB and CLOB simply toast forced special   datatypes  and  add  streaming  access  functions
lacks one   important requirement.

   For  all  the  default operations, the system would treat the   datums still like regular attributes. That means,
thatan

       INSERT ... SELECT ...
   copying a BLOB from one table to another (and that's correct,   BLOB's  should  have  copy  semantics) would force
theentire   BLOB data into memory ... and ...  then ...  after  ...  some   ... time ... run out of memory.

   We  don't  get  far  without  a real new datatype and special   support on the heap access level. We should  for
sure reuse   the toast shadow table to store the data. But that's the only   connection to toast here.

Jan