Re: Question about todo item

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Question about todo item
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> >> By 'in/out interface for TOAST columns' I thought this item dealt with
> >> adding large object like functions to read/write/append to TOAST column
> >> data.  I know that has been talked about in the past on hackers.  But I
> >> don't see it on the todo list.  Has that been done?
>
> > Only large objects allow that kind of access.  I don't think we will do
> > that for TOAST columns.
>
> Barry's right --- that *has* been talked about, and I thought the
> consensus was that we needed such functions.  You don't necessarily
> want to read or write a multi-megabyte TOASTed value all in one go.
> If it's not on TODO then it should be.  (But I suspect if you check
> the archives, you'll discover that this is exactly what the TODO
> item was really about.)

Yes, I kept talking about it, but no one was interested, saying large
objects are better for that kind of access.  When the uuencode idea came
around, I though the read/write binary toast idea was dead.

I agree we should have it, but I thought the problem was that we
couldn't come up with an API that worked.

Pennsylvania19026