Re: nextval on insert by arbitrary sequence

От David Stanaway
Тема Re: nextval on insert by arbitrary sequence
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Have you looked at the serial type?

This type creates an explicity sequence with a predictable name:
tblname_rowname_seq

and has a default value that selects the next val from that sequence.
You can get the value of the most recently inserted row in your session
with
CurrVal('tblname_rowname_seq')

Hope this helps :)

On Saturday, July 21, 2001, at 10:04  AM, Dado Feigenblatt wrote:

> Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>> Dado,
>>
>> Maybe we're looking at this the hard way.  Have you thought of simply
>> putting in a DATETIME column and sorting by that?
>>
>> -Josh
>>
> Sorting? I might have expressed myself wrong.
> I'm not concerned about sorting.
> I'm concerned about giving rows in a single table an unique, sequential
> numbered ID
> based on a sequence per project (as in a serial counter, as in 'create
> sequence specific_project_sequence;')
> e.g.
> rows related to project A get a number from sequence A
> rows related to project B get a number from sequence B
>
> Is it clear now, or is it me who's not understanding what you're saying?
>
> Sorry for the confusion.
>

> -- Dado Feigenblatt                                 Wild Brain, Inc.
> Technical Director                               (415) 553-8000 x???
> dado@wildbrain.com                               San Francisco, CA.

Best Regards
David Stanaway
================================
Technology Manager
Australia's Premier Internet Broadcasters
Phone: +612 9357 1699
Fax: +612 9357 1169
Web: http://www.netventures.com.au
Support: support@netventures.com.au
The Inspire Foundation is proudly supported by Net Ventures through the
provision of streaming solutions for it's national centres.  The Inspire
Foundation is an Internet-based foundation that inspires young people to
help themselves, get involved and get online. Please visit Inspire at
http://www.inspire.org.au

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: