Re: Rule recompilation

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: Rule recompilation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Jan Wieck <JanWieck@yahoo.com> writes:
> >     This isn't  local  recompilation  in  current  backend.  It's
> >     recreation  of the pg_rewrite entry for a relation, including
> >     propagation.
>
> Where I'd like to go (see my previous mail) is that pg_rewrite,
> pg_attrdef, and friends store *only* the source text of rules,
> default expressions, etc.  No compiled trees at all in the database.
> So there's no need to update the database entries, but there is a
> need for something like a shared-cache-invalidation procedure to cause
> backends to recompile things that depend on updated relations.

Hmmm,
   are  you  sure  that  this  doesn't have a severe performance   impact?
   When and how often are  these  parsetrees  read?  IIRC  these   parsetree strings are interpreted somehow during
heap_open().  Now you want to  run  a  flex/bison  plus  tons  of  syscache   lookups  for  operator  and  function
candidatesand possible   casting in this place?

Jan