Re: Storing image contents in TEXT fields

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: Storing image contents in TEXT fields
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Jerome Alet wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 11:17:28AM -0400, Jan Wieck wrote:
> > Jerome Alet wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I wanted to know if it's possible to store an image content in a TEXT field,
> > > or if another type is needed (in this case, then which one ?).
> > >
> > > I don't want to use BLOBs, because I modify an existing application
> > > which also works with MySQL, and I can't update to postgresql-7.1.x
> > > (I don't admin this server)
> > >
> > > in a TEXT field the image seems to be truncated at the first nul byte.
> >
> >     To  have  the  highest  portability across ALL databases, you
> >     might be best off by converting it to/from base64 or  similar
> >     in  the  client application and store the string in a text or
> >     varchar attribute.
>
> I think that I'll modify the app anyway, since I fear to hit the
> tuple max size with some postgresql versions. I think it's better
> to store images outside the database, but the original app developper
> didn't seem to think the same ;-)
   There  is  no  "tuple  max  size"  any  more since PostgreSQL   version 7.1.  If you get it through the parser,
planner, and   executor  (depends  on virtual memory), it'll make it down to   the disk. So if you don't intend  to
store tenth-mega-sized   multi-frame video clips, you should be fine.

Jan