Re: Virtual domains ?

От will trillich
Тема Re: Virtual domains ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 05:41:54PM +0300, Kris Van Hulle wrote:
> On 3 Apr 2001, at 10:31, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > "Kris Van Hulle" <uxs@compulink.gr> writes:
> > > Does PostgreSQL have support for virtual domains ?
> >
> > In 7.1 you can configure the postmaster to bind only to one specific IP
> > address, if that helps.
> >
> Not really. I want to set up one SQL server, which should have a
> different tablespace, userspace, whatever, depending on which
> domain the user logs into. Every domain points to the same IP-
> address, and the server is on that address.
>
> So, for example, one user connects to the server at
> company1.com, and another to the one at company2.com, and
> they see a different content, allthough the servers are actually the
> same; it's only faking that they're different. (both company1.com
> and company2.com point to to same IP)
>
> This is possible for http and ftp-servers, and email (allthough that
> seems a bit more difficult), so I was wondering if it was possible for
> SQL servers.

from what i know of this, the reason HTTP works with virtual
domains is because the recent web browsers know to send a HOST:
mime header with their requests to the http servers. older web
browsers don't include any such HOST: field, and so wind up
getting the default domain for whatever IP they're requesting
from. (serensoft.com -- to use my example -- serves
dontUthink.com and others; without the HOST: field, my server
will never know to delve into the dontUthink.com document tree,
and would return serensoft.com stuff by default.)

so postgres would then <if guess is correct> need to accomodate
the mime fields in a similar fashion, and clients would need to
generate them, likewise.

probably.

--
americans should never read anything so subversive as what's at
http://www.salon.com/people/col/pagl/2001/03/21/spring/index1.html

will@serensoft.com