Re: Indexes and Views

От R D
Тема Re: Indexes and Views
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
--- Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> R D <mrk279@yahoo.com> writes:
> > i'm storing col1 to col3 as integers to save
> storage
> > space(infact they are fixed point).I have many
> tables
> > ctrated using this template only the view devidor
> > constants are different for each table. Here they
> are
> > 1000.0 1000.0 and 100.0 but for every table they
> are
> > different. I would like to be able to execute the
> > queryes like this using the index:
>
> This table design is sufficiently ugly and pointless
> that I feel no deep
> remorse over the fact that you can't use an index
> that way ;-)
> Why are you bothering with these divisors?  float4
> is no larger than
> int4 and will eliminate all of these pushups: just
> store the values
> naturally.

I know that this table design is ugly, but I have no
choise. Infact I need 9 decimal places which will fit
in float8 (two colums of the table) and 4 decimal
places (1 colum) fits in float4. Now I'm using int4
and int2. for this colums. So this way I'm saving 10
bytes per row. This tables are star catalogs and 3 of
them has over a 2-3 milion entries and one of them has
25,000,000 entryes (GSC-ACT catalog), regarding the
fact that this three colums are Indexed you can
imagine how much space is lost. And there is one more
thing I'm palnning to use the largest star catalog
(USNO-A2) with over 500 milions of stars.
Anyway if you have any better idea please share it
with me!

regards,
Rumen