Re: ALTER DROP COLUMN

От Fred Yankowski
Тема Re: ALTER DROP COLUMN
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I just tried this recommended procedure with a little test.  It copied
over the Attribute and Type information and the primary key index, but
left everything else behind:  not-null constraints, defaults,
references constraints, check constraints, sequence generated for
'serial' type -- to name a few.

So how is this useful for anything beyond a toy database?

This inability to drop a column makes it hard to follow an "extreme
programming" style of development, where one designs only as much into
the database schema as is needed at the moment (DTSTTCPW, YAGNI).
When I do that I often find that I need to drop columns (in favor of
other columns of different types) as I evolve the schema to support
ever more complex applications.  PostgreSQL makes this a bit harder
than it needs to be.

--
Fred Yankowski           fred@OntoSys.com      tel: +1.630.879.1312
Principal Consultant     www.OntoSys.com       fax: +1.630.879.1370