Re: Re: AW: Re: MySQL and BerkleyDB (fwd)

От Ross J. Reedstrom
Тема Re: Re: AW: Re: MySQL and BerkleyDB (fwd)
Дата
Re: 2-phase commit  (dom@idealx.com)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 12:41:38PM -0500, Joel Burton wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Ross J. Reedstrom wrote:
>
> > And this case can be handled within one database by having multiple
> > schema, one for each package. It's not there yet, but it's a simpler
> > solution than the generic solution. The problem (as others have mentioned)
> > is that we don't want to open the door to remote access until we have a
> > two-phase transaction commit mechanism in place. Doing it any other way
> > is not a 'partial solution', it's a corrupt database waiting to happen.
>
> What does '2-phase transaction commit mechanism' mean in this case?

Same thing it means elsewhere. Typing "two phase commit" into Google gets me
this url:

http://webopedia.internet.com/Computer_Science/Transaction_Processing/two_phase_commit.html

Which says:
  A feature of transaction processing systems that enables databases  to be returned to the pre-transaction state if
someerror condition  occurs. A single transaction can update many different databases. The  two-phase commit strategy
isdesigned to ensure that either all the  databases are updated or none of them, so that the databases remain
synchronized.
  Database changes required by a transaction are initially stored  temporarily by each database. The transaction
monitorthen  issues a "pre-commit" command to each database which requires an  acknowledgment. If the monitor receives
theappropriate response from  each database, the monitor issues the "commit" command, which causes  all databases to
simultaneouslymake the transaction changes permanent.

This 'pre-commit' 'really commit' two-step (get 'yer cowboy hats, right
here) is what's needed, and is currently missing from pgsql.

Ross