Re: Re: AW: Re: MySQL and BerkleyDB (fwd)

От Ross J. Reedstrom
Тема Re: Re: AW: Re: MySQL and BerkleyDB (fwd)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 12:18:54PM -0500, Joel Burton wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Zeugswetter Andreas SB wrote:
>

> > > Is anyone looking at doing this?  Is this purely a MySQL-ism, or is it
> > > something that everyone else has except us?
> >
> > We should not only support access to all db's under one postmaster,
> > but also remote access to other postmaster's databases.
> > All biggie db's allow this in one way or another (synonyms,
> > qualified object names) including 2-phase commit.
> > Ideally this includes access to other db manufacturers, flat files, bdb ...
> > Meaning, that this is a problem needing a generic approach.
>
> Of course, a generic, powerful approach would be great.
>
> However, a simple, limited approach would a be solution for (I
> suspect) 97% of the cases, which is that one software package creates a
> database to store mailing list names, and another creates a database to
> store web permissions, and you want to write a query that encompasses
> both, w/o semi-tedious COPY TO FILEs to temporarily move a table back and
> forth. And of course, a simple solution might be completed faster :-)
>
> How could this be handled?

And this case can be handled within one database by having multiple
schema, one for each package. It's not there yet, but it's a simpler
solution than the generic solution. The problem (as others have mentioned)
is that we don't want to open the door to remote access until we have a
two-phase transaction commit mechanism in place. Doing it any other way
is not a 'partial solution', it's a corrupt database waiting to happen.

> * a syntax for db-table names, such as mydb.myfield or something like
> that. (do we have any unused punctuation? :-) )

This is the sort of syntax that SQL9* specify for cross schema access.
So far, it fits into the parser just fine.

> * aliases, so that tblFoo in dbA can be called as ToFoo in dbB

This can be done with views, once schema are in place.

Ross
--
Open source code is like a natural resource, it's the result of providing
food and sunshine to programmers, and then staying out of their way.