Re: Unanswered questions about Postgre

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Unanswered questions about Postgre
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> > What I think we _really_ need is a large object interface to TOAST data.
>
> Large-object-like, anyway.  I dunno if we want to expose TOAST-value
> OIDs or not.  But yes, we need to be able to read and write sections
> of a large TOASTed data value.
>
> > This an obvious way to load files in/out of TOAST columns, and I am not
> > sure why it has not been done yet.
>
> Because Jan said he'd deal with it, and then he's been distracted by
> moving and visa problems and so forth.  But I expect he'll get it done
> for 7.2 ...

My concern is that we are introducing a new feature, but not giving
people a way to take full advantage of it.  In my release message, I
will make it clear that TOAST will be a real option for binary files
_when_ we get the API working.  Without that API, TOAST is really just
for long text fields, and bytea for those who can encode their data.