Re: Why PostgreSQL is not that popular as MySQL?

От Mike Castle
Тема Re: Why PostgreSQL is not that popular as MySQL?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 03:05:23PM -0800, Dan Lyke wrote:
> I've been seriously programming microcomputers for a decade and a
> half. One of the great accomplishments of my career was shoehorning a
> big database application into a 4.77 MHz PC XT under that 640k limit,
> including the bigger versions of DOS and the Novell drivers. 30 meg
> was a *huge* database. Assembly language and special case hacks to
> CTREE (which we only used part of because the record management was
> more inefficient than we could tolerate) were the norm.

This is interesting.

I too come from a background of using CTREE (I'm assuming you mean the
product from www.faircom.com).

And this exposure was precisely why I choose Postgres over MySQL.
Maybe because I switched over later and started using transactions once
CTREE supported them (prior to that, we literally made backup copies of
the files to simulate transactions!).

I too am used to putting all of the integrity issues into the application.
And many many times I'd come close to writing a layer on top of ctree that
did exactly that!  But having started using PostgresQL, I am hooked on
having the database handle it.  Constantly reinventing the wheel inside the
application is annoying!  And not very exciting.

mrc
--
       Mike Castle       Life is like a clock:  You can work constantly
  dalgoda@ix.netcom.com  and be right all the time, or not work at all