Re: Re: Why PostgreSQL is not that popular as MySQL?

От rob
Тема Re: Re: Why PostgreSQL is not that popular as MySQL?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
MySQL simply did a better job of marketing themselves to an audience that
typically doesn't know SQL or understand relational databases.  MySQL
focuses on speed as it's primary asset.  Integration with quick growing
languages (like PHP) helped a lot too.  MySQL is also the product of an
existing software company that employed basic marketing principles early in
the game.

Most of the web based projects I have found were obviously written by (good)
programmers that just didn't have a grasp of relational data models.  They
just needed a quick & easy way to store large tables of information.
(Berkley DBM's only go so far) Given that this "less DB savvy" audience
didn't understand relational databases, things like triggers and decent SQL
support don't strike them as important as speed.

MySQL is a good migration path for xBase, and the multitude of DBM based
scripts that were dominate a few years ago.  PostgreSQL is the only path for
someone that intends to use relational design in their applications.  MySQL
doesn't even come close.

The bottom line is that the marketing of PostgreSQL is not even close to
that of MySQL.  Thank god the code, community and support doesn't follow
suit!

my 2 cents

--rob