Re: PostgreSQL for NT

От Jason Tishler
Тема Re: PostgreSQL for NT
Дата
Список pgsql-ports
Peter,

On Sun, Nov 19, 2000 at 01:14:10AM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> W. van den Akker writes:
>
> > FindExec: could not find a postgres to execute...
> > FATAL 1:  postgres: could not locate executable, bailing out...
> > FATAL 1:  postgres: could not locate executable, bailing out...
> >
> > If I run postgres.exe from the bash shell then I have no problems.
>
> The reason for this is that the program does a shell-like path walk to
> find itself.  If you are not running a Unix-like shell then you don't have
> a PATH variable in the environment (or at least you have one with
> semicolons as separators).  Using absolute file names might work.

If postmaster.exe is a copy of postgres.exe (instead of a symlink) and I
have the following defined in my environment:

    Path=C:\WINNT\system32;C:\Cygwin\1.1.4\bin;C:\Cygwin\1.1.4\usr\local\pgsql\bin
    PGDATA=/usr/local/pgsql/data

then postmaster -i startups directly from cmd without any problems.

Cygwin automatically converts certain environment variables between
Win32 and POSIX -- PATH is one of them.  So, if postgres.exe is using
PATH (which seems to be implied above) when it tries to "find itself,"
then the "shell-like path walk" should work as expected.

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235