Re: Losing data from Postgres

От Jean-Marc Pigeon
Тема Re: Losing data from Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Bonjour Paul Breen

> Hello everyone,
>
> Can anyone help us?
>
> We are using Postgres in a hotspare configuration, that is, we have 2
> separate boxes both running identical versions of Postgres and everytime
> we insert|update|delete from the database we write to both boxes (at the
> application level).  All communications to the databases are in
> transaction blocks and if we cannot commit to both databases then we
> rollback.
[...]
> Originally we were vacuuming twice a day but because some of the reports
> we produce regularly were taking too long as the database grew, we added
> multiple indexes onto the key tables and began vacuuming every hour.  It's
> only after doing this that we noticed the data loss - don't know if this
> is coincidental or not.  Yesterday we went back to vacuuming only twice a
> day.

    We found something similar on our application.
    Seems to be a vacuum+index problem, the index do
    not refer to ALL data after the vacuum!.

    If I am right, drop the index, create the index again
    and your data should be found again...

    On our side now, before to do vacuum we drop the index
    do vacuum, rebuild the index. The overall time is
    the same as doing a 'simple' vacuum.

    Hoping that help...

A bientot
Jean-Marc Pigeon              Internet:   Jean-Marc.Pigeon@safe.ca
SAFE Inc.                Phone: (514) 493-4280  Fax: (514) 493-1946
       REGULUS,  a real time accounting/billing package for ISP
           REGULUS' Home base <"http://www.regulus.safe.ca">