Restoring from a file system level backup

От Jonathan Daniels
Тема Restoring from a file system level backup
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi,

I need to restore from a filesystem level backup, the
reason being that I cannot exeute an sql dump due to
the postmaster not executing. Therefore I have decided
to reinstall postgres (I am running Linux Mandrake 7
as an OS). I just want to ensure that the following is
correct:

copy all files (pg_ and tbl_ prefixed files, logfile
and PG_VERSION) from the database directory

copy pg_log from the /var/lib/data directory (I copied
all files from here just in case).

I have done the above but am not sure what the
procedure is for restoring from a file system level
backup. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan Daniels