Re: Big 7.1 open items

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Big 7.1 open items
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> > I am suggesting this symlink:
> >
> >     ln -s data/base/testdb/myspace /var/myspace/testdb
> >
> > rather than:
> >
> >     ln -s data/base/testdb/myspace /var/myspace
> >
> > Tablespaces still sit inside database directories, it is just that it
> > points to a subdirectory of myspace, rather than myspace itself.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^

Sorry, I should have said a symlink sits in data/base and points to the
tablespace.  My issue is having it point to tablespace/database and not
just tablespace/.

> Didn't you mean
>
> ln -s /var/myspace/testdb data/base/testdb/myspace

No, sorry for the confusion.

> ?
>
> I thought that you don't like symlinks from data/base/... This is
> how I understood Tom' words:
>
> > The symlinks wouldn't do any good for what Bruce had in mind anyway
> > (IIRC, he wanted to get useful per-database numbers from "du").

No, I want symlinks in data/base.  What I wanted was to have
per-database directories in every tablespace so I can do a 'du' in the
tablespace directory to see how much of each database is the tablespace.
It also nicely partitions the files, makes the directories smaller, and
prevents any possible file name conflict.

Pennsylvania19026