Re: Patch for 'Not to stuff everything as files in a single directory, hash dirs''

От JanWieck@t-online.de (Jan Wieck)
Тема Re: Patch for 'Not to stuff everything as files in a single directory, hash dirs''
Дата
Re: Patch for 'Not to stuff everything as files in a single directory, hash dirs''  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Seems the whole large object per file is going away in 7.1.  Can someone
> confirm this?
   Not the whole one in 7.1.
   The  TOAST  stuff will lower the need for large objects alot,   but we already discovered the  fact  that  it  isn't
a  real   answer to LARGE objects.

   First of all, the entire datum must be properly quoted to fit   into a querystring. Therefore the client needs  to
have the   original  datum,  the  qouted copy, the querystring it built.   Then the querystring is sent to the backend,
parsed(where  a   CONST node is built from it), copied into a tuple to be split   up into TOAST items.

   So on a central system, where client and DB are both running,   we have 6 copies of the object in memory! Not that
optimal.
   For  7.2 I'll work on real CLOB and BLOB data types. Requires   some more thinking though.

Jan