Re: INSTALL/install.sgml file

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: INSTALL/install.sgml file
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> > In looking at the INSTALL/install.sgml files, I see that there are no
> > instructions for removing the /data directory after the backup, so
> > initdb will succeed.  Should that be suggested after the backup is
> > performed?  If not, initdb will fail.  Also, I have to add something to
> > the initdb step to tell 7.* users they don't need initdb.
>
> What?  It says "move the old directories out of the way" at the bottom
> of step 6.

Oh, I see that now.  The trick was that people upgrading from 7.0 or
7.0.1 do not need to do pg_dumpall, nor move the old directory out of
the way, nor do an initdb, nor reload from pg_dumpall.

I put a note about who should run pg_dumpall (6.5.* or earlier), and
then later I mention that "If you did pg_dumpall..." move the old
directory out of the way, do initdb, and reload.  Seems it is OK now.
Thanks.

> Possibly that should be promoted into a whole separate step, rather than
> being just an afterthought to killing the postmaster.
>
> This step and step 11 should also mention pg_upgrade as a possible
> alternative to doing a full reload.  (But encourage people to make
> the backup anyway ;-).)

I got that into step 5:

      Rather than using pg_dumpall, pg_upgrade can often be used.