Re: INSTALL/install.sgml file

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: INSTALL/install.sgml file
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> In looking at the INSTALL/install.sgml files, I see that there are no
> instructions for removing the /data directory after the backup, so
> initdb will succeed.  Should that be suggested after the backup is
> performed?  If not, initdb will fail.  Also, I have to add something to
> the initdb step to tell 7.* users they don't need initdb.

What?  It says "move the old directories out of the way" at the bottom
of step 6.

Possibly that should be promoted into a whole separate step, rather than
being just an afterthought to killing the postmaster.

This step and step 11 should also mention pg_upgrade as a possible
alternative to doing a full reload.  (But encourage people to make
the backup anyway ;-).)