Re: What distribution?

От Shaw Terwilliger
Тема Re: What distribution?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> > Help me I don't wanna run the debian whith his diabolique
> > dselect & apt-get!!!!
>
> I run PostgreSQL on Debian without problems, it's much simpler than on Tru64, it works fine and I seize the
opportunityto congratulate the Debian maintainer of the package, Oliver Elphick, which does a lot of work to hide
PostgreSQL'sannoyances (such as upgrades from one version to another).

I'm running PostgreSQL 7.0 on a Debian Potato machine--compiling and
installing couldn't have been easier.  Debian provides all the required
libraries as packages.  It was just "./configure && make && sudo make install"
for me.  If you want to follow the Debian unstable distribution, 7.0 is
probably as simple as "apt-get install postgresql".

> PS: I don't use dselect.

Me neither.  dselect isn't meant to be used by humans, or at least not by
sane ones.  "apt-cache search <regexp>" will let you search for packages
by name and description fields, and "apt-get install <package>" or
"apt-get [-b] source <package>" will install them (from pre-built binary
or source, respectively).

Graphical package browsers exist (gnome-apt, aptitude, maybe console-apt
is still around).

--
Shaw Terwilliger

От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: Re: createdb -- alternate locations
От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: Re: Creating new user in vers 7.02 and pgaccess