Re: [ADMIN] request for tuning suggestions from PC Week Labs

От Hernan J. Gonzalez
Тема Re: [ADMIN] request for tuning suggestions from PC Week Labs
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
My init script includes this line
(in red hat 6.1):

echo "100000000" > /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax

to increase the available shared memory,
and afterwards:

/sql/bin/postmaster -B5892 -D/sql/data -o "-e -B5892
-S4000 -F" -i >> /sql/log/sql.log

> When fsync is off, how is
> data loss possible?

I have turned fsync off, since I feel that
the perfomance gain is more important, for
me, than the risk of loosing data; indeed, my
database got corrupted,
once or twice, but dropping and recreating all the
indexes was enough... and I backup daily.

Another suggestion I found useful,
to improve disk speed (in linux) is to
increase the default block length
(4 kb instead of 1 kb); but I don't know
if that matters with raid 5...

Regards

Hernan Gonzalez
Buenos Aires, Argentina