Re: vacuum timings

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: vacuum timings
Дата
Re: vacuum timings  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> > I loaded 10,000,000 rows into CREATE TABLE test (x INTEGER);  Table is
> > 400MB and index is 160MB.
>
> > With index on the single in4 column, I got:
> >      78 seconds for a vacuum
> >     121 seconds for vacuum after deleting a single row
> >     662 seconds for vacuum after deleting the entire table
>
> > With no index, I got:
> >      43 seconds for a vacuum
> >      43 seconds for vacuum after deleting a single row
> >      43 seconds for vacuum after deleting the entire table
>
> > I find this quite interesting.
>
> How long does it take to create the index on your setup --- ie,
> if vacuum did a drop/create index, would it be competitive?

OK, new timings with -F enabled:
index    no index519    same    load    247    "    first vacuum40    "    other vacuums1222    X    index creation90
X    first vacuum80    X    other vacuums<1    90    delete one row121    38    vacuum after delete 1 row346    344
deleteall rows440    44    first vacuum20    <1    other vacuums(index is still same size)

Conclusions:
o  indexes never get smallero  drop/recreate index is slower than vacuum of indexes

What other conclusions can be made?

Pennsylvania19026