Re: [pgsql-advocacy] First draft of Beta announcement

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: [pgsql-advocacy] First draft of Beta announcement
Дата
Re: [MASSMAIL]Re: [pgsql-advocacy] First draft of Beta announcement  ("Gilberto Castillo" <gilberto.castillo@etecsa.cu>)
Re: [pgsql-advocacy] First draft of Beta announcement  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
Список pgsql-advocacy

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=press.git;a=blob;f=releases/10/beta/10beta1.md;h=f0d2e6ad2637281194ce212f9b7553eff1301c58;hb=HEAD

>> Please comment with improvements/suggestions/corrections, or submit them
>> to the git repo if you have access.
>
> I think the part about "an unusually high number of
> backwards-incompatible changes" is unnecessarily scary.  The number of
> incompatible changes in the release notes is only slightly higher than
> in previous releases (10: 19, 9.6: 13, 9.5: 12, 9.4: 22), and half of
> those are removing ancient junk that no one was using.
>
> I get that we want people to test and adjust their applications as early
> as possible, but how about something like this instead: "Version 10
> contains a few changes that are incompatible with prior major releases.
> We encourage all users test it against their applications and platforms
> as soon as possible."

Ok, I seem to be outvoted on this.  How about this as a compromise:

Version 10 contains a few changes that are incompatible with prior major
releases, particularly renaming "xlog" to "wal" and a change in version
numbering. We encourage all users test it against their applications and
platforms as soon as possible.  See the Release Notes and the What's New
page for more details.

--
Josh Berkus
Containers & Databases Oh My!