Re: pg_upgrade Python version issue on openSUSE

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: pg_upgrade Python version issue on openSUSE
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 9/26/20 8:54 AM, Paul Förster wrote:
> Hi Adrian,
>
>> On 26. Sep, 2020, at 17:43, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
>>
>> I suppose getting them to install Python 2 is out of the question? It is an official package.
>
> I can try, but chances are at 99% that they refuse.
>
>> Well there is always going to be versioning. If you mean the incompatibility split, then for 2/3 that is not going
away.There will be a Python 4, but the core developers have said they learned their lesson and it will just be an
incrementalupgrade.

> so you're saying there will always be two Pythons? One Python 2 and one Python x (with x>=3)? Oh my god... Why don't
theyjust make Python 3 backward compatible?

Well one would hope folks eventually finish migrating off Python 2, but
there is a lot of that code out there. There have been tweaks to make
them more compatible. The sticking point for full compatibility is the
Unicode transition. That would cause the same breakage as exists now in
Python 2 --> Python 3, so there is no real point and the developers
don't want to relive that experience. The goal going forward is for
everybody to move to Python 3 and have changes in the future be
incremental. Anyway that is enough for an off-topic discussion.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

От: Paul Förster
Сообщение: Re: pg_upgrade Python version issue on openSUSE
От: John DeSoi
Сообщение: Re: Can I get some PostgreSQL developer feedback on these five general issues I have with PostgreSQL and its ecosystem?