Re: performance question on VACUUM FULL (Postgres 8.4.2)

От PG User 2010
Тема Re: performance question on VACUUM FULL (Postgres 8.4.2)
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hi Jeff,

Are you running VACUUM (without FULL) regularly? And if so, is that
insufficient?

Unfortunately, we have not run vacuumlo as often as we would like, and that has caused a lot of garbage blobs to get generated by our application.

You can always expect some degree of bloat. Can you give an exact number
before and after the VACUUM FULL? Or is this a one-shot attempt that
never finished?

If large objects are being added/removed regularly, it might be better
just to wait (and do regular VACUUMs), and the table will naturally
compact after the rows at the end are removed.

Our vacuum full is still running after several days, so I'm unsure when it will finish (it would be nice to be able to get a rough idea of % complete for vacuum full, but I don't know of any way to do that).  I estimate that there are probably several million dead blobs taking up ~ 80 gigabytes of space.

I believe that once we are running vacuumlo regularly, then normal vacuums will work fine and we won't have much of a wasted space issue.  However, right now we have LOTS of dead space and that is causing operational issues (primarily slower + larger backups, maybe some other slight performance issues).

So, here are my questions (maybe I should post these to the -general or -admin mailing lists?):

1) is there any easy way to fiddle with the vacuum process so that it is not CPU bound and doing very little I/O?  Why would vacuum full be CPU bound anyway???

2) is it possible to interrupt VACUUM FULL, then re-start it later on and have it pick up where it was working before?

3) are there any alternatives, such as CLUSTER (which doesn't seem to be allowed since pg_largeboject is a system table) that would work?

Thanks so much!

Sam