Re: performance question on VACUUM FULL (Postgres 8.4.2)

От Jeff Davis
Тема Re: performance question on VACUUM FULL (Postgres 8.4.2)
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, 2010-01-19 at 12:19 -0800, PG User 2010 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are running into some performance issues with running VACUUM FULL
> on the pg_largeobject table in Postgres (8.4.2 under Linux), and I'm
> wondering if anybody here might be able to suggest anything to help
> address the issue.

Are you running VACUUM (without FULL) regularly? And if so, is that
insufficient?

> Our pg_largeobject table is about 200 gigabytes, and I suspect that
> about 30-40% of the table are dead rows (after having run vacuumlo and
> deleting large numbers of large objects).

You can always expect some degree of bloat. Can you give an exact number
before and after the VACUUM FULL? Or is this a one-shot attempt that
never finished?

If large objects are being added/removed regularly, it might be better
just to wait (and do regular VACUUMs), and the table will naturally
compact after the rows at the end are removed.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis

Сообщение: Re: New server to improve performance on our large and busy DB - advice?
Сообщение: Re: New server to improve performance on our large and busy DB - advice?