Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 vs. MySQL 5.0?

От Ian Barwick
Тема Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 vs. MySQL 5.0?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 10/7/05, Philip Hallstrom <postgresql@philip.pjkh.com> wrote:
> > But no, Mark, I'm not worried by the FUD. It just means there's nothing
> > real for them to throw at PostgreSQL.
>
> This just appeared on slashdot...
>
> MySQL To Be Ikea Of The Database Market
> http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/07/1224213&from=rss
>
> From the linked article...
>
> http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=9231B8BD-3788-4DB2-B85F-707E75857B58
>
> While new entrants into the open source database market, such as
> EnterpriseDB and Pervasive Software, have made no secret of their
> intentions to chase Oracle's market share, Mr Mickos said MySQL is happy
> to leave them to it.
>
> "We are thankful that they are there to define the market, there is no
> product if you're the only vendor," he said. "Pervasive and EnterpriseDB
> are going up against Oracle. We don't want to be in that space, we don't
> want to take the heat from Oracle. If you're working in a zoo you don't
> want to be the one who has to brush the teeth of the lion."

And this just in (via another post on this list):

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/10-07-2005/0004163873&EDATE=
http://www.oracle.com/innodb/index.html

Oracle acquires Innobase, which is the company behind the InnoDB table
bit of MySQL, i.e. the engine with the foreign keys, transactions and
all that.

Is there a shortage of lion toothpaste in Sweden or something?

Ian Barwick