postgreSQL query via JDBC in different OS taking different running time?

От Aftab Ahmed Chandio
Тема postgreSQL query via JDBC in different OS taking different running time?
Дата
Re: postgreSQL query via JDBC in different OS taking different running time?  (John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>)
Re: postgreSQL query via JDBC in different OS taking different running time?  (David Johnston <polobo@yahoo.com>)
Re: postgreSQL query via JDBC in different OS taking different running time?  (Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@infinito.it>)
Список pgsql-general
Hi,
I want to know the reason behind the case:
My query processes from JDBC (Java Program) to PostgreSQL. I use system time by invoking java function, I collect one time unit before the query statement perform and second after the execution of query statement.
I found 85 ms time unit in DOS (win7) (laptop 4cores). both Java and PostgreSQL installed and invoked on the same machine, respectively.
On the other hand, I use same process (separate installation) on linux on 8 cores physical machine with 2times greater then laptop.
I found 150 ms. (which is a question for me because the time in Linux environment should give me half of the time taking on laptop)
I also make same setting  of postgresql.conf in the linux setup, which is available same in the win7  setup, because win7 setup gives better performance of the query.
What do u suggest me, where I need to make performance tuning? which configuration setting must need to modify in the linux?
 * laptop RAM 4 GB and Linux machine 32 GB
looking positive response.

--

Aftab A. Chandio
PhD Scholar(Research Center for Cloud Computing)

Lecturer
Institutes of Mathematics & Computer Science
University of Sindh, Jamshoro, Pakistan.
+92 3003038843