Re: upgrade requires dump/restore?

От charette@writeme.com (Stephane Charette)
Тема Re: upgrade requires dump/restore?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
> Is a dump/restore required from 7.2 to 7.2.3?  What if we were to go
> from 7.2 to 7.2.4, or even from 7.2 to the latest, 7.3.2?  How can we
> tell when a dump/restore is required?

In answer to my own question, I found that the HISTORY file within the
source archive (http://www.ca.postgresql.org/ftpsite/source/v7.3.2/postgresql-7.3.2.tar.gz)
contains all of the necessary information about _exactly_ when a
dump/restore is required.  Here is a summary of what I found going
back to PostgreSQL version 7.2:

Migration to version 7.3.2    A dump/restore is *not* required for those
running 7.3.*.

Migration to version 7.3.1    A dump/restore is *not* required for those
running 7.3.  However, it should be noted that the main PostgreSQL
interface library, libpq, has a new major version number for this
release, which will require that client code using libpq be relinked.

Migration to version 7.3    A dump/restore using pg_dump is required for
those wishing to migrate data from any previous release. If your
application examines the system catalogs, additional changes will be
required due to the introduction of schemas in 7.3; for more
information, see: http://www.ca.postgresql.org/docs/momjian/upgrade_tips_7.3.

Migration to version 7.2.4    A dump/restore is *not* required for those
running 7.2.X.

Migration to version 7.2.3    A dump/restore is *not* required for those
running 7.2.X.

Migration to version 7.2.2    A dump/restore is *not* required for those
running 7.2.X.

Migration to version 7.2.1    A dump/restore is *not* required for those
running 7.2.

Migration to version 7.2    A dump/restore using "pg_dump" is required
for those wishing to migrate data from any previous release.

Best regards,

Stephane Charette
stephanecharette <nospam> at telus <nospam> dot net