Re: Updated backup APIs for non-exclusive backups

От Laurenz Albe
Тема Re: Updated backup APIs for non-exclusive backups
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2018-12-11 at 23:43 -0500, David Steele wrote:
> > I have come up with some sample code here:
> > https://github.com/cybertec-postgresql/safe-backup
> >
> > This just uses bash and psql.
> > Does that look reasonably safe?
> >
> > It's probably too big to be introduced into the documentation, but maybe
> > we could add it to the Wiki.
>
> My bash-fu is not all that great, but it seems to me you could do this
> all in one script and forgo the table entirely.  Just do the file copy
> at about line 60 in pgpre.sh.
>
> It does look workable to me, just wonder if it could be simpler.

Thanks for having a look.  Yes, it looks appallingly complicated.

Sure, if I knew there was a file to write, and I knew where to write
it, I could do it in the "pre" script.  But since I have no idea how the
actual backup is performed and how the "backup_label" file is going to
be saved, I thought it best to return the information to the caller and
persist it somewhere, and only the "post" script can actually return the
information.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe