Re: postgres source code installation vs rpm based installation

От Rui DeSousa
Тема Re: postgres source code installation vs rpm based installation
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

> On Jun 5, 2019, at 10:23 AM, Pavan Kumar <pavan.dba27@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> 1. Imagine a case where binaries got corrupted. what will happen to the database cluster?
> 2. One of the database had problem and need to apply bug fix patch at binaries. how do we handle this problem?
> 3. minor release

Custom builds sounds like the solution you need. I wouldn’t install the same version multiple times; however, having
twodifferent patch releases makes sense.  For example, install one version of 10.1 and use it for multiple database
clusters. Install version 10.2 in a different directory and update a given database cluster environment to use 10.2
binariesthus allowing for both 10.1 and 10.2 to be running on the same server.

I don’t think RPMs will allow you to run different patch releases.

P.s.

I have both 10.7 and 11.3 running on the same system without issue.  Normally run one database cluster on the system;
however,currently migrating between major versions and using the system for testing and migration efforts.