Max query string length

От Ansley, Michael
Тема Max query string length
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Well, I got psql to work with arbitrary query string lengths, eventually, by
implementing an expandable buffer struct.  Unfortunately, I didn't bring the
stuff to work today, so it'll only be in the patches tomorrow.
This means that the query buffer length will not be restricted in psql.
Next up is libpq.  I checked the code for this, and there seems to be only
one place where this is an issue, and it is just a (redundant?) check on the
length of the string to ensure that it is still within the limit.  I removed
the check, which then seemed to allow a large query string through to the
back end.  I received a message like this:
ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near ""

So, I assumed that it was making it as far as the parser.  So now I have to
dive into the backend, and make sure that it can accept arbitrary length
queries, right?  My first take, strategy-wise, is going to be to go through
the diagram detailing the design of the back end, and take it piece by
piece.  Any fundamental flaws in this?

As far as the buffer struct, and code goes, is there anything around which
does this already?  If not, I thought of placing it somewhere where all the
modules can access it, as I will probably land up using it in more places
than just psql.  Thoughts, screams of laughter, etc....

Lastly, when I ran configure, I included the --enable-cassert switch.
However, this does not seem to force the compiler to include debug info,
i.e.: --enable-debug.  I tried the --enable-debug switch as well, but it
didn't seem to have any effect.  Am I missing something?

Thanks

MikeA