Re: [HACKERS] Tuple toaster (was: Re: LONG varsize - how to go on)

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Tuple toaster (was: Re: LONG varsize - how to go on)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > I think Vadim had a single entry point that he could control in that
> > way.  Not sure Jan has such an entry point.  If the stuff goes all over
> > the place, #ifdef can be hard to read as you are coding.
>
>     Sure,  there will be some more entry points this time. But as
>     far as I see up to now, not too many in  the  beginning.  And
>     for storing values, they're all located in heapam.c.

Good.

>     Who uses an editor that cannot  distinguish  between  tabstop
>     and shiftwidth? And which editors are these - are they useful
>     for programming at all?
>
>     Anyway, I vote for 8-space tabs and 4-space indents  too.  My
>     .exrc  set's  up  4-space tabs actually, and it's a real mess
>     when editing non-PG sources.

OK, that tips the scales in favor of 8-char tabs.  My micro-emacs can't
handle different indent and tab sizes, but that is an old non-X-based
editor.  I then checked Crisp, my new X editor, and I can't see how to
that either.

However, I don't do that much coding, so if people want to go for 8-byte
tabs and 4-byte indent, we can do that.

Any objections on for that?

>     You can do anything you want soon. I intend only to  put  the
>     #ifdef'd out calls to the toaster into heapam.c, and create a
>     new  tuptoaster.c  in  the  same  location,  again  all  code
>     #ifdef'd  out. From then on, I can work CVS based without any
>     interference.

Let me know.

Pennsylvania19026