Re: [HACKERS] Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/src/interfaces/libpgeasy (libpgeasy.c)

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/src/interfaces/libpgeasy (libpgeasy.c)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> >> Clean up some minor gcc warnings.  I'm not touching the
> >> major one, though, which is the truly ugly stores into libpq private
> >> storage.  Can't you find a better way to do this?
>
> > Yes, very ugly.  I need some way to store my state information _inside_
> > the Result structure.  Any ideas?
>
> One possibility is to add an application-defined field, say of void*
> type, to PGconn and PGresult, plus set/get access functions for them.
> This'd be a fairly general-purpose feature; I've seen it done in other
> libraries that export objects of this sort.
>
> On the other hand, if libpq did have such a feature, it'd be nice if
> libpgeasy didn't commandeer it but left it open for the application
> to use.  So maybe we need something else for libpgeasy.
>
> Since libpgeasy is new in the (core) distribution for this release,
> perhaps it is not too late to consider an API change?  If get_result,
> set_result and friends returned a pointer to a two-element struct
> (PGresult* and tuplenumber) instead of a raw PGresult*, the problem
> would go away.  More or less anyway ... I'm not quite sure where it'd
> be OK to free() such a struct ...

I hear you.  pgeasy was just an attempt to make C programming in
PostgreSQL easier.  I am not sure how much it will get used, but it
seemed valuable, and a number of people were using it when it was in
contrib.

I figure the storage of the tuple at the end of the status field is
harmless enough.

Do people have any comments on it?  I am willing to move it back into
contrib.

Pennsylvania19026