Re: [HACKERS] LONG varsize - how to go on

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [HACKERS] LONG varsize - how to go on
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck) writes:
> >     Would  be  best  for me if you can leave out the pgindent run
> >     for this  release.  I  already  have  some  small  things  as
> >     patches,  that  I  apply to the latest cvs update.
>
> Why not do what Vadim is doing for XLOG: commit your changes under
> #ifdefs for a symbol that isn't yet defined?
>
> #ifdef LONG_ATTRS
>     new code
> #else
>     old code
> #endif
>
> I think this'd possibly be helpful anyway for study and debugging
> purposes, since people could easily see what you've changed and where.
> Eventually, after all the dust settles, we can get rid of the #if's
> and the old-code fragments.

I think Vadim had a single entry point that he could control in that
way.  Not sure Jan has such an entry point.  If the stuff goes all over
the place, #ifdef can be hard to read as you are coding.

However, he may be able to get to a point with his new macros that he
can commit the changes and have long handling turned off until he is
happy with it.  That would be nice so we can test it by just changing
the macro.

> I don't normally like #ifdef'd patches of this sort, but as a temporary
> measure during implementation I think it'd be better than keeping a
> private set of files.
>
> >     And I fear
> >     what's currently discussed about changing 4  column  tabstops
> >     would break them completely.
>
> Bruce doesn't want to do that, and I doubt anyone will force the issue
> over his veto.  But it would be nice to be able to do a pgindent run;
> there's a lot of new code in this release.

I hope I didn't "veto" it.  I just wanted to mention my reasons, and
look for other people to vote too.  I have Vince, Peter, and Tom who
want 8-space tabs and 4-space indents.  Because the old standard was
voted on by many more people, I need to hear additional votes to change
our standard.

Jan, can we run a pgindent on the current sources with the current tab
size unchanged?  I don't think that would affect you very much.
However, I can wait until most of your code is committed.  I don't
normally run pgindent until just before the final release date.

Pennsylvania19026