Re: [HACKERS] When is 7.0 going Beta?

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [HACKERS] When is 7.0 going Beta?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> > Other than WAL, what else is half-completed and installed?
>
> WAL is probably the thing that forces our hand here.  Vadim would know
> better than anyone else whether the current state of the code is
> releasable, but I bet he'll say "no".

OK, seems Vadim can turn this off easily, which is what I expected.

The big question is whether we want to stop working on the "features"
list to put out a release?

We have a list of stuff, but other than the first two, they are not
being developed in the current tree, or are not started:
       Foreign Keys    - Jan       WAL             - Vadim       Function args   - Tom       Date/Time types - Thomas
   Optimizer       - Tom

       Outer Joins     - Thomas?       Long Tuples     - ?

Seems the general agreement is that people don't want to stop for 2-3
months to polish what we have done so far.  They want to use those 2-3
months for development of the above items.

That is fine, as long as everyone realizes we are going +1 year between
major releases in this case, and that in the period from June to
current, we only have two of these items partially done.

I agree we really don't have a MVCC-type feature to justify a 6.6 at
this time.  If Jan could get foreign keys partially working for the
common cases, that may be enough to tip the scales.

I have never been a big release fan.  I like to get the code out to the
users.  Every release seems to be bigger than the last.

Marc, as far as backpatching, you really can't do that without going
into beta on the release, and if you do that, you might as well use the
current tree.  Each patch has already been evaluated for backpatching.
Sorry, no free lunch there.

Another secret is that deadlines generate features.  As beta approaches,
things seem to happen much faster.

However, since no one else agrees, I will drop the topic now.

Pennsylvania19026

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] When is 7.0 going Beta?
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] When is 7.0 going Beta?