Re: [GENERAL] Again: How the hell do I restart immediately

От Doran L. Barton
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Again: How the hell do I restart immediately
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Not long ago, Mike Mascari proclaimed...
> According to the INSTALL document which came with
> the distribution (possibly the following remark has
> been removed in recent versions?), for RedHat Linux:

> In RedHat Linux edit file /etc/inittab to add the
> following as a single line:
>
> pg:2345:respawn:/bin/su - postgres -c
>   "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster
>    -D/usr/local/pgsql/data >>
>    /usr/local/pgsql/server.log 2>&1 </dev/null"
>
> When the postmaster dies, init will automatically
> respawn it, much the same as getty, or xdm, etc.
> Now, since init will be starting the postmaster,
> the /etc/rc.d/init.d script should be removed and
> the links to it in /etc/rc.d/rc[whatever].d should
> also be removed (or you could just not run this
> service using linuxconf using the control service
> activity option). And, of course, the switches in
> the inittab entry above should be adjusted accordingly
> to the appropriate site's settings.

I tried this initially and init (RedHat 5.2) complained that the command
string was too long. *sighs*

> That should ease the symptom but the problem still
> remains. We run an e-commerce type web-based
> application backed by PostgreSQL 6.5 around the clock.
> I haven't seen a postmaster die since 6.4.0. Is there
> any indication as to what is causing the postmaster to
> die?

I agree. I've been running PostgreSQL since Postgres95 and I've never had
these kinds of problems... but regardless. They're happening.

The log file offer one piece of evidence (which I don't understand):

  Oct  7 21:22:13 lists logger: ERROR:  postmaster: StreamConnection:
  accept: No route to host

And then... it dies. I see this message in the log every time the server
has died. It was doing this under 6.4.2 and now again with 6.5.1.

Again, any helpful pointers would be MUCH appreciated.

--
Doran L. Barton <fozz@iodynamics.com>
Iodynamics LLC -- "Internetworking the masses"

Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Again: How the hell do I restart immediately
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Again: How the hell do I restart immediately