Re: [DOCS] New man pages

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [DOCS] New man pages
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> I've posted a tarball of new man pages at
>
>   ftp://postgresql.org/pub/doc/man.tar.gz
>
> I *think* these are ready for prime time, or close to it. They are
> generated completely automatically from the sgml sources, using some
> patched perl utilities. I'll try to post the complete set of docs
> tools on the ftp site sometime soon.
>
> Note that there are a few more man pages than were available in the
> original versions, and that *all* information in the original man
> pages appears in the new ones (or somewhere in the other docs).
>
> I haven't yet updated the cvs tree to contain these new man pages.
> Please look through the tarball and report any problems you see, if
> you have any interest in the man page issue. Also, please report if
> they look OK, so I know *someone* looked at them ;)

I looked at the new pages, and they looked very good, much better than I
thought they would.  The only problem was the display of the command
syntax was wrapped rather than being one operator per line:
      select [distinct [on attr_name]]          expression1 [as attr_name-1]          {, expression-1 [as attr_name-i]}
        [into [temp] [table] classname]          [from from-list]          [where where-clause]          [group by
attr_name1{, attr_name-i....}]          [having having-clause]

became:
      select [distinct [on attr_name]]  expression1 [as attr_name-1]          {, expression-1 [as attr_name-i]} [into
[temp][table] classname]          [from from-list] [where where-clause] [group by attr_name1    {, attr_name-i....}]
[havinghaving-clause]

Which is almost unreadable.

Pennsylvania19026