Re: [PORTS] RedHat6.0 & Alpha

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [PORTS] RedHat6.0 & Alpha
Дата
Список pgsql-ports
> > > Now that I think of it, you can't send out patches for 6.5.1 because
> > > we don't have the alpha stuff in there that was put in after 6.5.1.
> > > I think the current snapshot may be safe for general use.
> >         That is what I figured out when the diff between 6.5.1 and
> > Friday's snapshot came out at about 3.5MB. The time required to backport
> > the linux/alpha patches to 6.5.1 would be better spent else where.
> >         As for distribution packages, we want to get pgsql packages for
> > alpha with these patches out there so people can pound on them before we
> > roll the patches into the cvs tree for a formal release. That way,
> > anything still lingering would be found soon, rather than later. Of
> > course, we would want the packages to say clearly that they are beta or
> > preliminary version only, and so don't use for mission critical operations
> > until one has tested it out.
>
> I'm disappointed that we won't have a set of patches for v6.5.1. Is
> there any possibility of putting these patches into our REL6_5_PATCHES
> branch to prepare for a v6.5.2 release? What in the current set of
> patches would make this difficult? I believe that Tom Lane has been
> pretty good about committing to that branch, and I don't know what
> else might be missing.

OK, I don't want Thomas disappointed.  We have the changes for alignment
I made, and some changes for optimization in certain places, and the
Uncle George patch, and the removal of the bad comment in the template
file.

My recommendation(hold on to your seats) is to take the current cvs
tree, patch it with Uncle George's patches and any others needed, and
release a 6.5.2 release that addresses alpha.  We can back-patch 6.5.2,
but there is really no reason to do that.  There is really nothing
'special' in the current tree.  In fact, the most risky of them are the
alpha ones, and since that is what we are trying to fix, we are not
adding any new problems to the code.

I am working on some cache stuff, but that is not committed.

> I've been trying to get things together so we can have a viable RPM
> distribution of Postgres for Alphas. RedHat is interested, and I think
> that it would help the Postgres cause. Does anyone else have this
> specific interest, or should we just have them wait another 4 months??

That is a long time.

Сообщение: Re: [PORTS] RedHat6.0 & Alpha
Сообщение: Re: [PORTS] RedHat6.0 & Alpha