Re: [INTERFACES] Bug in psql?

От leif@danmos.dk
Тема Re: [INTERFACES] Bug in psql?
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
Hello Bruce,

On: Tue, 11 May 1999 08:50:07 -0400 (EDT)
      Bruce Tong <zztong@laxmi.ev.net> wrote:

> >  I tried to create the table below using psql, but it bombed out
> > with a message about loosing the backend, though the backend was
> > still running nicely. It seems to be a problem with the long
> > field name of the serial (and primary key) column.
>

> Have you tried putting the following into a file and using...
>
> # psql -f foo.sql

    I actually did from a file, but with the \i command.

> ... to run it? I _think_ this sometimes gives different messages than
> entering it directly on the psql command line, although I'm not sure why.
> I could be way off here, but its worth a try.
>
> > create table globalafvigelse
> >   (
> >     globalafvigelse serial ,
> >     startdato date,
> >     slutdato date,
> >     dagskema varchar(50),
> >     primary key (globalafvigelse)
> >   );
>
> What is type "serial"? It probably not incorrect, but I've not heard of it
> before.

   The data type serial is a standard data type, which is also included in
PostgreSQL ;-). M$Access calls it 'Autonumber' and is simply an integer (I
think it is most common to be an int4) that is automatically incremented for
each insert. I think that it is implemented in PostgreSQL using a sequenser.

   I tried to change the name of the serial field: globalafvigelse -> id,
and then it works. I think it is because postgresql automatically creates a
sequence called <table name>_<field name>_seq, which is limited in size.

   Greetings,

  Leif

От: Bruce Tong
Сообщение: Re: [INTERFACES] Bug in psql?
От: Peter Harvey
Сообщение: subscribe