Re: [HACKERS] Tom Lane's fixes in v6.4.3

От Tatsuo Ishii
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Tom Lane's fixes in v6.4.3
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Tom Lane's fixes in v6.4.3  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
>Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii@sra.co.jp> writes:
>>> From Tom Lane's horror story...
>>> I spent an hour tracing through startup of 6.4.x, and I now understand
>>> why the thing doesn't crash despite the horrible bugs in ShmemInitHash.
>>> Read on, if you have a strong stomach.
>
>> Are Tom Lane's fixes included in 6.4.3 beta? I think his findings are
>> so important.
>
>I have made a patch for 6.4.x which I intend to commit into the REL6_4
>tree, but it hasn't gotten as much testing as I would like.  The patch
>is attached if you care to try it for a while first.  (These changes
>are already in the development tree, BTW.)

Thanks. Your patches work fine with fresh REL6_4 sources I got this
morning.  One thing I noticed: when the backend runs out the
semaphores, postmatser dies with following messages:

IpcSemaphoreCreate: semget failed (No space left on device) key=5432017, num=16, permission=600
NOTICE:  Message from PostgreSQL backend:The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend died abnormally and
possiblycorrupted shared memory.I have rolled back the current transaction and am going to terminate your database
systemconnection and exit.Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.

Is this normal?

I thought postmatser tried to re-initialize the shared buffer and
resume to the normal operation in this case.

BTW, 6.4 tree does not have the max backend patch I posted. So even if
there are enough resources, the backend will crash if connections >
MaxBackends.
--
Tatsuo Ishii