Re: [HACKERS] v6.4.3 ?

От Michael Meskes
Тема Re: [HACKERS] v6.4.3 ?
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] v6.4.3 ?  (Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Feb 07, 1999 at 10:06:03PM +0100, Jan Wieck wrote:
>     I  recall  some  replies  to recent problem reports on v6.3.2
>     where we told "upgrade to  v6.4.2"  (shame  on  us).   That's
>     easier  said  than  done,  if  someone  has  big applications
>     breaking on new features.

Agreed.

>     I know that it isn't true,  but  these  "upgrade  to  another
>     release"  answers  instead of "install bugfix release vX.X.X"
>     look  like  we  don't  care  about  anyone  who  really  uses
>     Postgres,  not  only  playing  around  with  it just for fun.
>     That's the sound of M$.

And once more I agree.

>     Patching against v6.4 takes time. It must  be  done  manually
>     nearly all the time since patches don't apply clean. But it's
>     the only way to give Postgres a real good reputation.

I like this approach. However, when d we stop maintaining the old version? I
think there are still people using 6.3 who cannot simply upgrade to 6.4. So
do we create 6.3.3 too? Or are there no open bug reports on 6.3 anymore?

Michael
Email: Michael.Meskes@gmx.net          | Use PostgreSQL!