Re: [HACKERS] v6.4.3 ?

От Sascha Schumann
Тема Re: [HACKERS] v6.4.3 ?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Feb 07, 1999 at 05:51:08PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> jwieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck) writes:
> >     Don't remember what's all fixed between v6.4.2 and now.
> >     Does anyone else know about bugs that are still in the REL6_4
> >     branch and could be fixed without adding features?
>
> I just checked in the ". conftest.sh" -> ". ./conftest.sh" fix to
> configure, which several people have complained of (6.4.2 fails
> if "." is not in your PATH at configure time).
>
> We have to be pretty careful with these back-rev patches, since they
> typically aren't going to get much testing in the back version's
> CVS tree.  So I'm leery of applying anything that hasn't been tested
> for a while in the development branch.
>
> For example, the patch I just applied to CURRENT to link libpgtcl.so
> with -lcrypt perhaps ought to go into REL6_4 --- but I'm afraid to do
> that until we verify that it works on a variety of platforms.  It fixes
> things on teo's Linux box but I worry that it might actually break things
> elsewhere.

Just a short note:

-lcrypt is available on glibc 2 systems only.

And yes please release a 6.4.3. As a administrator of some sites which rely on
PostgreSQL heavily I would never use a zero-numbered version. The risk is just
too high and too unforseeable.

An example: Before 6.4, we used a table called "user" without any problems.
Unfortunately, this was not possible in 6.4.x, because it became a reserved
keyword there. Having one release together with maintenance updates minimizes
the risk of getting features you don't want.

--                  Regards,                                                                               Sascha
Schumann|                                 Consultant | finger sas@schell.de                                           |
forPGP public key