can't connect

От Jonathan Sand
Тема can't connect
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
If some kind soul could help straighten me out... :)

I recently installed Red Hat Linux 5.2, along with postgresql 6.3.2
(rpm). The postmaster is running, started from the
/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql script. I can run the psql monitor and do
normal SQL things on the redhat machine.

What I can't seem to do is connect to it from another machine. I've
written a java program which does a connect, using JDBC. This worked fine
connecting to postgresql 6.3.2 running on a Slakware Linux machine.

I believe I've configured postgres to accept connections from my other
machine, adding the following line to pg_hba.conf:

host  all  193.1.1.0  255.255.255.240  trust

I changed the default startup script so that it doesn't run in silent
mode, produces debugging output and redirects output to a log file:

su postgres -c '/usr/bin/postmaster -d 9 -p 2002 -D/var/lib/pgsql >
/var/lib/pgsql/log/pg_log 2>&1 &'

After running this script, the log file contains startup output. I do a
connect from the other machine; the log file is unchanged. Thinking it
might be a port problem, I ran tcpdump. I'm not an expert in interpreting
its output, but the ethernet traffic looks like a valid request was made
from the other machine to the correct port and acknowledged by the redhat
machine from the correct port. I can telnet from the other machine to the
redhat machine and run psql as the same user that the java program
connects as, so my access is at least configured that far.

Can anybody tell me what vital bits am I missing in my configuration?

Jonathan Sand

sand@gizmolab.com

Hardware: n. that aspect of a computer system which can be hit.